1. Your Check-in Baggage / Baggage Allowance
To All Destinations
The free baggage allowance for passengers travelling Business class carrying up to 2 items cannot exceed 30 kilos (66,4 lbs) of combined weight for both items.
The free baggage allowance for passengers travelling Economy class carrying up to 2 items cannot exceed 25 kilos (55 lbs) of combined weight for both items.
To and from the United Sates of America
Passengers travelling Business Class to and from the USA are allowed to carry up to 3 items, which cannot exceed 90 kilos (198lbs) of combined weight for all three items.
Passengers travelling Economy Class to and from the USA are allowed to carry up to 2 items, which cannot exceed 45 kilos (99lbs) of combined weight for both items.
Infants (0-2 years old) have a baggage allowance of up to 10 kilos (22 lbs).
You are advised to keep all your valuable items, such as travel documents, medicines, jewellery, money, insurance or other documents and any other valuable or fragile items with you at all times.
2. Your Hand Baggage
Every passenger is entitled to carry one piece of hand baggage with them on board the aircraft. The measurements of this piece of baggage should not exceed 55 cm in length x 40 cm in height x 20 cm in width and weigh no more than 5 kilos (11 lbs).
3. Excess Baggage
Excess baggage is considered any extra weight over the free baggage allowance. If your baggage exceeds this allowance you will be charged for each extra kilo.
For more information, please contact our reservations department.
4. Special Baggage
At Hellenic Imperial Airways special baggage is considered to be any kind of baggage you wish to check in other than the suitcase, bag or case, which holds your articles for your journey. This could be sports articles, instruments or any other odd-sized items which due to their nature may be liable to transport charges under specific conditions and are also subject to charges, since they are not included in the free baggage allowance.
5. Dangerous Goods and Prohibited Articles
Any kind of foods in semi-solid or liquid form must be suitably packed in wooden cases with absorbent material to avoid any leakage which might cause damage to the property of others. If carrying food you should also bear in mind regulations limiting the importing of foodstuffs that may apply in various states.
The following items may not be taken into the security restricted area or the passenger cabin of the aircraft:
Guns and other weapons
Any item capable, or appearing capable, of firing a projectile or causing injury.
Sharp and pointed weapons and other items
- Any firearm (pistols, revolvers, rifles, hunting guns, shotguns etc.)
- Replicas and imitations of firearms
- Parts of firearms (with the exception of telescopic sights and aiming lenses)
- Air pistols, air rifles and pellet guns
- Flare pistols
- Starter pistols
- Toy guns of any kind
- Learners’ guns
- Industrial bolt and nail guns
- Harpoon guns
- Slaughterhouse guns
- Weapons designed to stun or cause electric shock, e.g. cattle prods, taser guns
- Cigarette lighters shaped like a firearm
Pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including:
- Small and large axes
- Arrows and darts
- Harpoons and spears
- Pocket-knives or stilettos with any length of blade
- Knives, including ceremonial knives, with blades longer than 6cm, of metal or any other hard material capable of being used as weapons
- Meat cleaver
- Cutthroat razors and razor-blades (with the exception of safety blades or disposable razors, with blades in a case)
- Sabres, swords and swordsticks
- Scissors with blades longer than 6cm
- Ski and walking/hiking poles
- Throwing stars (shuriken)
- Professional or working tools which might serve as pointed or sharp-edged weapons, e.g. drills and bits, box cutters, kitchen knives, saws of any kind, screwdrivers, crowbars, hammers, pliers, spanners and wrenches, blow-torches.
Any blunt object capable of causing injury, including:
Explosive and flammable materials
- Baseball and softball bats
- Clubs or batons – rigid or flexible – e.g. truncheons, night sticks and batons
- Cricket bats
- Golf clubs
- Hockey sticks
- Lacrosse sticks
- Kayak and canoe paddles
- Billiard cues
- Fishing rods
- Martial arts equipment, e.g. knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails, num chucks, kubatons, kubasaunts.
Any explosive or highly flammable material which might endanger the health of passengers and crew or the safety, in all respects, of the aircraft or personal items carried thereon.
Chemical and toxic substances
- Blasting caps
- Detonators and fuses
- Explosives and explosive devices
- Replicas or imitations of explosive materials or devices
- Mines or other military explosives
- Grenades of all kinds
- Gases and gas cylinders, e.g. butane, propane, acetylene, oxygen – in large volume
- Fireworks, flares in any form and other pyrotechnics (including party poppers and toy caps)
- Non-safety matches
- Smoke grenades or cartridges
- Flammable liquid fuel, e.g. petrol, diesel, lighter fuel, alcohol, ethanol
- Paint spray cans
- Turpentine and paint thinners
- Alcoholic drinks with more than 70% alcohol content (140% proof).
Any chemical or toxic substance which might endanger the health of passengers and crew, or the safety, in any way, of the aircraft or personal items carried thereon.
- Acids and alkalis, e.g. wet-cell batteries
- Corrosive or bleaching substances – e.g. mercury, chlorine
- Disabling or incapacitating sprays, e.g. Mace spray, pepper spray, tear gas
- Radioactive material e.g. isotopes for medical or commercial use
- Infectious or biologically hazardous material – e.g. contaminated blood, bacteria and viruses
- Material capable of spontaneous ignition or combustion.
6. Lost & Found / Delayed baggage
If you are unable to locate your baggage upon arrival at the airport of destination, you must report it immediately to the representatives of our company before leaving the airport’s premises.
We will enter your baggage details into ‘Worldtracer’ a worldwide baggage tracing system and will provide you with a File Reference ID.
You are required to refer to this File Reference ID in all communication regarding your delayed baggage.
Claims for damage or loss to items in checked baggage, which are fragile, perishable or of special value cannot be accepted.
Click on the link below to get information on the status of your baggage tracing procedure. You just have to enter your 10-character file reference code as well as your last name in the relevant boxes.
Worldtracer- Online baggage tracing (link: COMING SOON)
In the case where your baggage has not been traced after 45 days, the procedure of reimbursement will begin.
For more information please contact our local representative.